Careers at the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy are rewarding in more ways than one. Working for the conservation of Pennsylvania’s natural resources, you’ll experience an unusually deep sense of accomplishment, pride and camaraderie with other like-minded professionals.
Applicants who are interested in being considered for a position can either send a cover letter and resume to the email address listed in the job description, or download and print an application. Completed applications can be sent to:
Attn: Human Resources
1478 Mill Run Road
Mill Run, PA 15464
Fallingwater, Frank Lloyd Wright’s architectural masterwork, located just 4 miles north of Ohiopyle State Park, has part time openings. All openings require candidates who are dependable and able to work weekends and holidays, as needed.
Tour Guides part time: Leads interpretive tours of Fallingwater. Must be comfortable speaking in front of groups. Send letter and resume to email@example.com and list Tour Guide in the subject line.
Café Assistant part time: Waits on customers, runs cash register, cleans dishes, and involves minor food prep. Send letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and list Café Assistant in the subject line.
Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is seeking a summer intern to work with the TreeVitalize Program. TreeVitalize Pittsburgh is a joint initiative to plant 20,000 in the Pittsburgh region by the end of 2013. The partners are the City of Pittsburgh, the PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Tree Pittsburgh, and the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy (WPC). To date over 17,300 trees have been planted through the project. Trees are planted in neighborhoods and business districts throughout Pittsburgh using both volunteers and hired contractors. The intern works under the supervision of the TreeVitalize Director.
Position Duration: June – August 2013; 24 hours per week
Location: 800 Waterfront Drive, Pittsburgh, PA
Job Description: The intern will assist with data collection and management, tree maintenance. Duties will include:
• Assisting the TreeVitalize Forester with GIS data collection, management, and maintenance
• Verifying existing TreeVitalize GIS data in the field
• Conducting field evaluations for a study of tree survival and maintenance needs
• Performing tree stewardship activities such as watering, weeding, and mulching
• Major in Environmental Science, Biology, Forestry, or related field
• Experience with GIS software, preferably ArcMap and ArcPad
o Preference will be given to those candidates with experience using a Trimble GPS unit
• Experience with plant identification or be willing to learn
• Ability to spend approximately 75% of work time outside in urban field conditions
• Interested in urban environmental issues
• Valid driver’s license
• Ability to communicate TreeVitalize Pittsburgh’s goals and procedures to a variety of constituents
• Ability to work independently on complex tasks
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Proficiency with all Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word and Excel;
• Willing to work some evenings and weekends, as needed.
Pay: $8.50 per hour
Application process: To apply send resume, cover letter and two letters of reference to email@example.com and list TreeVitalize Intern in the subject line. Application deadline is May 22, 2013.
Fallingwater, Frank Lloyd Wright’s architectural masterwork, located just 4 miles north of Ohiopyle, has summer work available in the maintenance department. Must be able to weed, assist with planting shrubs/trees, operate lawn mowers and weedwackers, and be able to lift and move heavy items, as needed. To apply send a resume, cover letter and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org with Maintenance Summer in the subject line.
Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer.